Dental Exams & Cleanings
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. However, at regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will continue to perform the following:
Blood pressure check: Check to see if blood pressure within normal limits or need to refer to an Medical Doctor for further workup before any dental procedures begin.
Lymph Node Check: Check to ensure there aren't any enlarged lymph nodes.
TMJ Evaluation: Check to see if your jaw joint is operating smoothly with no pain, clicks, or pops.
Oral cancer screening:
Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer we do this both visually, manually, and with the Velscope Vx
(see info on next pages or visit their website).
Tongue Check: check to see if tongue displays no anomalies or malignancies.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Tongue Cleaning: Removal of plaque and bacteria from the surface and sides of tongue.